12 March 2007

Testing HTML Tables

According to the Opening Explorer at Chessgames.com, the most popular openings today are:-



 Games
played
1.e4 206,083
1.d4 145,174
1.Nf3 36,586
1.c4 32,038
1.g3 2,909
1.f4 1,403
1.b3 1,130

According to the Position Search at Chesslab.com, the W-L-D stats for the four most popular moves are (from White's point of view):-

 H: L:
1.e4 41% - 30% - 29%38% - 31% - 31%
1.d4 39% - 27% - 34%38% - 28% - 34%
1.Nf3 36% - 25% - 39%37% - 26% - 37%
1.c4 38% - 26% - 36%38% - 28% - 34%

The 'H:' column is for games played through 1990; the 'L:' column is for games played since 1990. According to the 'L:' statistics, with 1.e4, White has a 38% chance of winning, a 31% chance of losing, and a 31% chance of drawing.

This doesn't look very good in draft. How will it look when it's published?

***

Later: As usual with Blogger.com, CRLF between lines causes formatting problems. Flowing the table rows without CRLF looks acceptable.

2 comments:

Wahrheit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CousinIt said...

Hi Mark,

First, let me introduce myself, my name is Raymond Roy, a.k.a. CousinIt.

My intent in using the post, "Testing HTML Tables," as a form of introduction, to not confuse readers viewing your other posts with an off topic comment. I hope this is acceptable to you.

Being a novice chess player with a passion for the game since I was a young boy, inspired me to start a blog titled, Chess Strategies 101.

In the beginning, when I started this weblog/blog, my intentions were twofold; opening awareness of the game to both parents and children, while becoming more active in the promotion of the game. In a simplistic way, I just wanted to share my passion for the game of chess. As a result, my thinking has broadened, as well as improving many aspects concerning how I play the game. Both wonderful benefits and attributes that I am currently enjoying.

However, there is only so much that can be said when it come to showing parents the benefits of teaching children the game of chess that has not been said over, and over again. In this aspect, I have reached a stumbling block of sorts, so I have mixture of articles.

This leads me to another obstacle, material. Being a novice player with lack of experience has proved challenging in this department. Most of the articles on my blog are written by other authors, with permission of course, however, they are not my own writings. For me, I can only write on subjects that I am familiar with, and have knowledge of. Understandable I believe.

This has lead me into thinking that I should start something about chess with the knowledge that I do have, and that knowledge is the Internet. Currently, I am looking into running a chess server, something that would come natural for me, and offering the chess server to educational facilities at no cost, as a way to encourage children to learn more, become more active and contributing members within their society. This server would also have a members base as one from of support for the costs encountered.

My question to you is advice, or an opinion. Do you have any knowledge of good software that can be used by everyone, i.e. novice to Grandmaster? So far I have looked into Jin jinchess.com, chessd chessd.surceforge.net and lastly phpChess
phpchess.net. Do you have any thoughts or opinions on these? Are there better programs available? I truly want the best.

My other thoughts on this are running two servers, one free chess server, using a simple java or php script, and another chess server using a more robust script such as chessd for memberships.

Well, I have wasted enough of your time with this long winded post, so I want to say thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to future correspondence.

Regards.

Raymond Roy