17 March 2014

Resurrecting an Online Chess Database

After my failure in Choosing an Online Chess Database, I decided I had three options (in order of preference):-

  • Find another online database
  • Get Chesslab working, whatever it takes
  • Stop playing traditional chess and switch 100% to chess960

I went back to Google and found two more candidates for a chess database, but these also proved to be insufficient:-

Then I used Google to uncover every bit of information I could find about the Java problem mentioned in Searching for an Online Chess Database. Finally I discovered a solution that worked. I won't say what it was, except to mention that it involved a security compromise. I know what the risk is and I'm willing to accept it.

As for giving up traditional chess and switching to chess960, I am certain that day will come. It just won't be today.

No comments: