Year end holiday weeks travel in pairs. Just like last week's post, TMERs: Kasparov's Travels Enhanced ('little time for blogging and even less for side projects'), this week's post is the product of limited resources.
My working file, Garry Kasparov's Travels During His 2014 FIDE Campaign, shows a number of extended trips by Kasparov to different regions of the world. Of particular interest is Africa, which he visited in July 2013 (before announcing his FIDE ambitions), in January-February 2014, and in May 2014.
The expert on chess in Africa must be Dr. Daaim Shabazz of The Chess Drum (thechessdrum.net). To get a better picture of Kasparov's campaigns in Africa, I assembled a list of the Drum's posts covering the same period as my working file. The list starts six months before Kasparov's formal announcement.
- 2013-04-06: Queen of Katwe battles Kasparov!, Phiona Mutesi of Uganda in New York
- 2013-07-05: Kasparov in Kenya!
- 2013-07-15: Kasparov’s impact on African Chess
- 2013-10-07: Kasparov seeks FIDE Presidency!
- 2014-01-26: Kasparov campaigns in Nigeria
- 2014-02-17: West African feds support Kasparov2014
- 2014-03-07: FIDE 2014: The Scramble for Africa
- 2014-06-23: FIDE Election Rumble in “Gabon-Gate”
- 2014-07-12: “Gabon-Gate” heats up… legal docs fly, including 2014-06-30: Complaint [PDF], 'Garry Kasparov and his ticket submit three complaints to the Electoral Commission'
- 2014-07-12: Ghana’s 1st FIDE-rated tourney!, 'sponsored by the Kasparov Chess Foundation Africa'
- 2014-07-13: Aikhoje denounces FIDE fight in Africa, Nigeria
- 2014-08-10: African tensions boil at 2014 Olympiad
- 2014-08-12: Ilyumzhinov wins 2014 FIDE election 110-61
- 2014-08-18: Drum Interviews @ ’14 Olympiad
- 2014-08-22: Reflections on Tromso Olympiad
- 2014-09-13: FIDE’s African Problem
TMER : Tournament, Match, and Exhibition Record