It's time to wrap up the longest running series on this blog:-
- 2013-10-20: 'Chess in (the) School/Schools' 'I'm not sure what it means.'
I quickly discovered that CIS was Multilevel, Political, Lucrative, Quantifiable, Sociable, Mantric, and Experimental. Those initial posts, a mini-series of their own, were listed in an intermediate summary:-
- 2014-02-23: 'Chess in School' Is Individual
By Individual, I meant that I was 'going to switch gears and look at some of the best known personalities in the field'. In fact I only looked at one and then launched into all sorts of related areas...
- 2014-03-09: 'Chess in School' : Robert Ferguson
- 2014-03-23: 'Chess in School' : Why?
- 2014-04-06: 'Chess in School' : Three Studies
- 2014-05-04: The Game at Chestes
- 2014-05-18: Journal of Chess Research
- 2014-06-01: The Riddles of Chess
- 2014-07-06: Chess Life for Kids
- 2014-07-20: Stavros Niarchos Chess
- 2014-08-03: Teaching Children or Teaching Adults?
- 2014-08-17: The Scholastic Chess Facilitators Crisis
- 2014-09-14: Chessathons and SuperNationals
- 2014-09-28: The First USCF Chessathon
- 2014-10-12: The First of the USCF Supernationals
- 2014-10-26: The Dark Side of Scholastic Chess
Carlsen - Anand, Game 11 'Scholastic Club Starter Kit'
- 2014-12-07: Chess Stereotypes
- 2014-12-21: FIDE's 'Chess in Schools' 2014
- 2015-01-04: London Chess and Education Conference 2014
- 2015-01-18: Chess and Cognitive Training
- 2015-02-01: The Cognitive Training Swamp
- 2015-02-15: Confusion about Facts
- 2015-03-01: Pedagogical Pecking Order
- 2015-03-15: Are Boys Good at Chess?
- 2015-03-29: Google Autocompletes CIS
...That last post led to another mini-series eventually summarized in:-
- 2015-06-21: Chess Curriculum - Inventory
After another detour...
- 2015-08-23: It's All About Money
- 2015-09-06: FIDE's 'Chess in Schools'(++) 2015
- 2015-09-20: Judit Polgar's Chess Palace
...the mini-series continued, then culminated a few months later in:-
- 2015-12-27: Chess Curriculum - Summary
After more bouncing around related subjects...
- 2016-01-10: London Chess Conference 2015
- 2016-01-24: FIDE's CIS Chairman O'Connell
- 2016-02-07: Connecting Children with Chess
- 2016-02-21: Polgar Global Chess Festival, Budapest
- 2016-03-06: CIS Conference, Brussels 2016
- 2016-03-20: Armenian Candidates
- 2016-04-17: How to Acquire Reasoning Skills
- 2016-05-15: Nearly Two Decades Later
- 2016-05-29: A Way Station on the Journey Through Life
- 2016-06-12: Chess Software for Children
- 2016-06-26: Fritz and Chesster
- 2016-07-10: Chessmaster : Waitzkin Version
...I ended with a look at a critical U.K. study:-
- 2016-08-07: 'Chess in Primary Schools' Studied
- 2016-08-28: Does Chess.com Make You Smarter?
- 2016-09-11: Transfer in Chess Learning
- 2016-09-25: Baloney Makes You Smarter
There's much more to be covered here and if I ever come back to the subject, the unfinished 'best known personalities in the field' offers plenty of direction. Although I have a better idea now what 'Chess in School' means than I did three years ago when I started the subject, I feel that I've just scratched the surface.