13 August 2009

Chess Ads V

In Chess Ads IV, why did I say it would be the last post in the series, when it clearly wasn't? Instead, this current post will be the last in the series, but it's not a quick post to satisfy my daily requirement of at least one post. I took the time to retrieve all ads I collected from 2004 through 2007 (the image shows 2005), in preparation for the next step.


The next step will be to sort the approximately 500 ads, eliminate the duplicates, and prepare the best example of each for a new image gallery. I suppose it will end up looking something like Chess in the Movies, and will incorporate around 200 ads when done..

While I was working on the ads, I realized I had enough material for other image galleries -- magazine covers (especially comics), industrial arts, and product designs to name a few -- along with ads related to chess products. The ads I collected for this current series are for non-chess products and services. It's remarkable how many different companies have decided that chess made a good prop for promoting their wares.

No comments: