17 August 2023

2023 CJA Awards - Part 1

A month after posting about the 2023 CJA Award Entries (July 2023; Chess Journalists of America), I'm ready to do a short series on the awards themselves. In that post I wanted 'to collect all of the entries across all of the categories', but I ran into an obstacle:-

The data behind the page is embedded on the page's HTML, so it should be possible to extract the entries using straightforward text tools. That would require more work than I have time for right now. I might come back to it later, but I wouldn't bet any money on that happening soon. The winners will be announced next month.

If anyone had made that bet, they would have won. After a little work, I discovered that there were 361 entries.

As expected, the winners were announced earlier this month in 2023 CJA Award Winners (chessjournalism.org; 'Congratulations to this year's CJA Award Winners!'). Around the same time, US Chess revealed their portion of the awards in 2023 Chess Journalist of America Awards (uschess.org):-

Writers, columnists, photographers and analysts from US Chess had much to celebrate at the annual Chess Journalists of America (CJA) meeting on August 2 in Grand Rapids. US Chess took home 27 awards, including two of the "big three".

For the final awards, the CJA offered an option to download a complete list of all the awards. I did this and discovered that 107 awards were made. I'll have more to say about the entries and the awards in a follow-up post. This time you can bet on it.

No comments: