21 October 2019

TCEC/CCC 2019 Q1-Q3 Summary

In last week's post, Stockfish Wins TCEC S16; CCC11 Underway, about the ongoing series following two world class engine-vs-engine tournaments, I promised,

After following the TCEC & the CCC for nine months, and with both events transitioning to new seasons, this looks like a good time to end the blog's coverage. I'll produce a summary of those nine months for my next post.

In fact, I included that paragraph in my last *two* posts, so it's time to make good on the promise. Starting (by coincidence) at the beginning of the year:-

It's been an enjoyable experience documenting the evolution of the two competitions. The TCEC version is better organized than the CCC version, but the CCC has its place, partly in confirming the results of the TCEC. As I wrote in last week's post, after listing the overall winners of the various events:-

Neither the traditional A/B engines (represented by Stockfish), nor the more recent AI/NN engines (Leela & Leelenstein) can claim dominance.

It might seem inevitable that the AI/NN engines eventually dominate the A/B engines, but I'm not yet convinced. I'm going to have trouble keeping my distance from the action, so I wouldn't be surprised to come back to these events.

[For further information from the various stakeholders in the engine-to-engine events, see the tab 'TCEC/CCC Links' at the top of this page. • NB: Leela = LC0 = LCzero]

No comments: