I had planned to wrap up this series on Chigorin with a summary of the 1890 Chigorin - Gunsberg match, using the same format I developed for 1893 Tarrasch - Chigorin (Anatomy). I ran into a snag when I realized that, although I have copies of the game scores, I have no record of the sequence in which they were played (and no way of knowing if my game scores are complete or accurate). There appears to be nothing on the web except for the final result of the match. The summary will have to wait until I have access to contemporary sources.
Here's a summary of my posts on Chigorin, including comments on special techniques used within the post.
- 2008-09-28 Chigorin -> Romanovsky -> Kotov
- 2008-11-02 Mikhail Ivanovich Chigorin (1850-1908) Tournament & match record from the Oxford Companion.
- 2008-11-09 Chigorin and Schiffers
- 2008-11-16 Emanuel Schiffers (Emmanuel Shiffers)
- 2008-11-23 Chigorin and His Contemporaries
- 2008-11-30 The Enigma of Chigorin Opening variations in tree form.
- 2008-12-07 Knight Owl
- 2008-12-14 Bias in the Soviet School
- 2008-12-21 Chigorin Stumbles at Hastings 1895 Cumulative score of main tournament contenders.
- 2008-12-28 1.e4 e6 2.Qe2
- 2009-01-11 1893 Tarrasch - Chigorin (Openings)
- 2009-01-18 1893 Tarrasch - Chigorin (Anatomy) Schema for documenting a match.
- 2009-01-25 1893 Tarrasch - Chigorin (Long Struggles)
Next stop in my look at the Soviet School: Alekhine.