30 June 2020

No Online Chess Yahoos

Last month, in TWIC and the Coronavirus, I wrote,

I wondered if I could somehow quantify the move to online chess. To answer that question, I developed the following chart based on recent TWIC data ('The Week in Chess' by Mark Crowther).

That chart eventually led to another post, The Switch to Online Chess, covering an eight week period for which

[I] developed the following chart. It shows online sites that were connected to an event covered by TWIC in a specific week.

That chart is copied below.


T1323 : 'The Week in Chess 1323, 16th March 2020'

For this current post I extended the chart another eight weeks.


T1331 : 'The Week in Chess 1331, 11th May 2020'

In the T1331 chart, the three main playing sites from the T1323 chart show at least double the number of online events reported in TWIC, and there are two newcomers to the list, PlayChess and Europe-Chess. As far as I know, none of these events were reported in the mainstream press -- in other words, no new Yahoos.

Cataloging the events reported by TWIC is another matter. I'll leave that for another time.

No comments: