27 March 2023

Chessify Resources

A couple of months ago, in Chessify Progress Report (January 2023), I ended the post saying,

I'll continue to evaluate the [Chessify] service and perhaps learn why it's worth a subscription. If I discover anything important that I've overlooked to date, I'll come back with another post.

A couple of weeks later, the Chessify people started handing out free trial memberships. After a few weeks of the trial, I decided that a subscription was indeed worth the money, if for no other reason than to understand better the technology behind the service.

In that same post, I noted that there was 'No chess960 support'. Unfortunately, my test using the traditional start position encountered a snag when I received no moves from my opponents for over a week. I decided to analyze chess960 positions.

The main problem with chess960 in a traditional chess environment stems from the castling rules. Since chess960 games tend to become extremely tactical after a few moves have been played, there is nevertheless some value in trying to confirm the tactics with a traditional, non-chess960 engine. In one game, my chess960 engine indicated that White would have a big advantage after a certain move. The Chessify engines didn't like the move at all. It turned out that the difference hinged on a later move where White castled giving check, which is generally a strong move.

I'll continue using Chessify to look at chess960 positions. In the meantime, here are a few resources to help explore the Chessify service.


How to Analyze with Cloud Chess Engines on Chessify (2:10) • '[Published on] Feb 12, 2023'

The description for the corresponding Youtube video page says,

Learn how to analyze your chess games with Stockfish and other chess engines on the Chessify Analysis Dashboard. Choose from the variety of engine options, select the speed at which you want to analyze, and get the best move suggestions from the strongest chess engines in the world.

Other videos are available at Chessify AI (youtube.com). Although they are intended to overcome the lack of online documentation, they don't go into enough detail to do that successfully.

More info is available through Discord | #website-support | Chessify (discord.com). The videos point to the service's Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram pages, but I haven't looked at them yet. Other resources that I should follow are Latest News About Chessify (chessify.me) and Blogs about Chess Engines, Puzzles, & More (ditto).

No comments: