20 March 2022

Black and White, Good and Evil

Eight years ago I posted, Ukrainian Chess Players (March 2014), which started,

These days Ukraine is on everyone's mind. The happenings of the past few weeks reminded me [...]

Eight years later I can say that the past few weeks reminded me of that old post. Here's a Flickr photo from that period. It's just as relevant today as it was then. The symbolism needs no explanation, although we can certainly question its accuracy.


Politics © Flickr user Samuel Thorne under Creative Commons.

What about the current generation of players? A few years after 'Ukrainian Chess Players', I posted, Karjakin's Federation Change (June 2016). That post ended,

[I] know that the political realities of the region are difficult to fathom. The real world is not reducible to black and white, nor to good and evil.

I no longer agree with that statement. Maybe the real world is not reducible to black and white, but good and evil are not the same as colors.

No comments: