08 November 2018

Match Tales from the Twittersphere

The much anticipated 2018 Carlsen - Caruana World Championship match starts tomorrow and journalistic protocol requires at least a perfunctory nod. What is Twitter saying about it?

On top of writing about the match itself, the Twitter angle gives me the chance to try another of the Algorithmia (AI?) services that I first used in From Black & White to Brown & Blue (October 2018). The particular service is Retrieve Tweets With Keyword (algorithmia.com). I fed it the three keywords 'chess carlsen caruana' and it spit out text examples of the 500 most recent tweets/retweets on the subject, in reverse chronological order, the earliest from yesterday. The 'retweets' aspect means that the same tweets are repeated over-and-over-and-over, most of which are a link to a source other than Twitter.

Of all the standalone tweets that I looked at, the most interesting is shown below. I initially tried to use the tweet embedded directly into this post, but the dimensions of the photo broke the blog container. I couldn't see a way to fix this quickly, so I resorted to a screen capture and shrank it.


https://twitter.com/seaningle/status/1060533865259954177

As for linked articles, the Twittersphere gave me three from Chess.com:-

Of the non-chess sources flagged by Twitter, another handful appeared over-and-over-and-over:-

As for the oldest of the 500 tweets/retweets, the distinction goes to another article from Chess.com:-

As interesting as the Algorithmia exercise was, I could have saved a lot of time with a straight Twitter query:-

twitter.com/search?q=carlsen+caruana.

Next time I'll just do that.

No comments: