09 May 2019

Archie

No, we're not talking about Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor (congratulations to the proud parents!), we're talking about Archie comics. Although I had more than a half-dozen Archie chess comic covers to choose from, the one shown below seemed the most appropriate, given the news from Britain's royal family.


Archie's Pals 'n' Gals (No.162)

The dialog balloons say,

Veronica: 'Stand aside, Betty! King Archie is mine'

Betty: 'He is not! This QUEEN plays to WIN!'

Archie: 'If I'm a KING, how come they treat me like a PAWN?'

In real life, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor has about as much chance of being King as he has of becoming World Chess Champion, but he's still born into a charmed life. The story reminds me of the recent post, April Yahoos -- Much Ado About Nothing? (April 2019), where I asked, 'Is there a better way to illustrate the idea of a King than with a chess King?' • The Game of Kings? A King or a Pawn?

No comments: